By Gureni Lukwaro
Students coming to study at American University of Sharjah (AUS) can benefit from a strong and enduring relationship with the university which does not end with their graduation. AUS is committed to equipping its students with the necessary life and career skills while at university as well as supporting them as AUS alumni in their careers and professional lives after they graduate from university.
The Office of Advancement and Alumni Affairs (OAAA) at AUS provides students with a wide variety of career preparation and skills development initiatives. Through this office, the university provides advice and guidance to AUS students and alumni to better prepare their resumes and cover letters in order to increase their chances of finding internships and exciting entry level opportunities.
OAAA also organizes a dynamic annual Careers Forum during which they bring leaders from academia and industry to campus in order to tackle contemporary topics and pressing issues pertaining to the current and future state of the job market, as well as to take a look at all the opportunities which our students and alumni can benefit from. This year’s exciting event will be held on Sunday, March 18, 2018 and Monday, March 19.
The annual forum includes high level panel discussions on the first day, followed by a career fair on the second day. This year, the panel discussions will revolve around the theme of “Youth career development in light of social, economic, and technological advancements.” Her Excellency Sara Al Amiri, who is the UAE’s Minister of State for Advanced Sciences, as well as an AUS alumna, will deliver the event’s inaugural remarks.
Her Excellency Sara Al Amiri, who is the UAE’s Minister of State for Advanced Sciences
The three panels to follow will focus on a number of important issues, including disrupting forces and their impacts on job creation; careers of the future; and the digital revolution – emerging tech as a game changer. Speakers and panelists at these sessions include:
- His Excellency Sheikh Fahim Al Qasimi, Chairman, Supreme Committee for the Digital Transformation of Sharjah
- Ziad Al Hazmi, CEO, Lufthansa Technik
- Samer Choucair, Vice President, Crescent Enterprises
- Irfan Al Hasani, Economic Expert, Dubai Competitiveness Office
- Ghassan Talhouk, Country Manager UAE, LinkedIn
- Elvir Abdul Rahman, Country Manager, DistributionNOW
- Greg Shuler, Chief People Officer, UAE Exchange
- Bader Hareb, Executive Director of Development, Emaar
- Omar Al Mahmoud, CEO, ICT Fund
- Fadle Saad, Country Manager – Enterprise Business and Partnerships, Hewlett Packard
- Xavier Anglada, Managing Director ME & Turkey, Accenture Digital
- Ahmed Ameen Ashour, Regional Education Director - Public Sector at Microsoft Gulf
In addition to these prominent speakers who will grace the occasion, around 60 local, regional and multinational companies will also be on campus to recruit the best talent at AUS. These include:
- Emaar Properties
- Crescent Enterprises
- Crescent Petroleum
- Petrofac International Ltd
- Cummins Middle East
- Central Bank of the UAE
- AECOM Middle East Limited
- Khatib & Alami
- L’Oreal Middle East
- ABB FZ L.L.C.
- Arab Media Group
- Bosch Middle East
- BPG Group
- Chalhoub Group
- Citi Bank
- Danone Nutricia Early Life Nutrition
- Dar Al-Handasah
- Deloitte & Touche
- Dubai Financial Securities Authority (DFSA)
- Dubai Multi Commodities Centre (DMCC)
- du – Emirates Integrated Telecommunications Company
- Dubai Electricity & Water Authority (DEWA)
- Electrolux Appliances
- Emirates NBD
- Enova Facilities Management LLC
- Fast Building Contracting Co.
- Hill+Knowlton Strategies (H+K)
- ICAEW Middle East
- Lufthansa Technik
- Philip Morris Management Services
- Philips Lighting
- Reckitt Benckiser
- Schneider Electric
- Sharjah Entrepreneurship Center – Sheraa
- Techno Steel Construction Co. L.L.C.
- TECOM Group
- UNHCR – The UN Refugee Agency
- Woods Bagot
We encourage all our students who are looking for internships, all senior students who are graduating soon and are getting ready to explore career options, and most importantly, our alumni who are looking for jobs or considering a career change, to attend this year’s fantastic event.
Do remember though to do a little bit of research on companies you are interested in applying to and update your CV, customizing it to the needs of each of the companies you wish to apply to.
We wish you all the best in finding your dream jobs and look forward to welcoming you next week at the AUS annual Careers Forum and Career Fair!
Students and alumni can register to attend the panel discussions via the following link www.ausalumni.ae/AUSCF18
His Excellency Sheikh Fahim Al Qasimi, Chairman, Supreme Committee for the Digital Transformation of Sharjah
Ziad Al Hazmi, CEO, Lufthansa Technik
Samer Choucair, Vice President, Crescent Enterprises
Dr. Irfan Al Hasani, Economic Expert, Dubai Competitiveness Office
Ghassan Talhouk, Country Manager UAE, LinkedIn
Elvir Abdul Rahman, Country Manager, DistributionNOW
Greg Shuler, Chief People Officer, UAE Exchange
Bader Hareb, Executive Director of Development, Emaar
Omar Al Mahmoud, CEO, ICT Fund
Fadle Saad, Country Manager – Enterprise Business and Partnerships, Hewlett Packard
Xavier Anglada, Managing Director ME & Turkey, Accenture Digital
Ahmed Ameen Ashour, Regional Education Director - Public Sector at Microsoft Gulf